Last week I had the privilege of seeing an amazing Nativity display. My aunt has collected Nativities for years and this year they have put hundreds of them on display and have generously opened their home to allow others to come enjoy their display. My mom flew out to surprise my aunt and we enjoyed spending time with her even though it was for only 24 hours. Here are some of the pictures my mom took (I didn't take my camera).
These shelves held some of the ~450 Nativities displayed in their home (they didn't even put them all out- they have around 600!).
One of my favorites is seen on the far right. It is from France and shows the village people offering their own special gifts (baguettes, etc.) So cute.
And some more in a different room. I love the Liz Lemon Swindle picture on the wall of Joseph holding baby Jesus. So different and sweet!
I don't have pictures of the other rooms. They have everything from Lladro to Willow Tree, Lenox to Banana Bark, Delft (from our Scandanavian heritage) to Pewter, and Crystal to Plastic. Obviously I can't show even one-tenth of what they have, but here are a few of them:
I love this one from Bolivia. The note says "Is there a flaw in the baby blanket? No, someone has kindly removed their own serape to cover the Christ child."
I could have spent hours (even days!) looking at and appreciating every detail in each nativity. As it was, I loved seeing what I could and visiting with Aunt Patti and Lisa (while making sure my kids didn't touch anything!!) This is my mom and Aunt Patti.
This post with its tiny pictures doesn't even come close to doing their lovely display justice. But I was so glad I could see and enjoy the Spirit in their home and wanted to share that. Even though each nativity was different, I loved each artist's way of showing how they perceived the Savior's birth. It reminded me that people all over the world, through their own traditions and their own special way celebrate the coming of the Lord and remember and worship Him in their own way. What a great event for us all to remember! Thank you Aunt Patti for sharing your beautiful Nativities, and thank you also to Uncle Dennis and the whole King family for spending numerous hours and making such a huge effort so all who see your display can feel the Spirit of Christ.
(If you're in the Santa Clarita area and want to go see, let me know!)
2 comments:
Sara, loved seeing these pictures again! So glad you were able to go and see the display (& Mom!). Hope you enjoy your own little nativity this weekend!
That's so beautiful! I hope they are still up when I go out. What a neat Christmas post. Are you having a holly, jolly Christmas?
(This is from Becky)
Post a Comment